"We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master."
- Ernest Hemmingway

Welcome to my blog!

The following space is dedicated to the exploration of implementing writing across the curriculum. In the subsequent months I will be chronicling my experiences in PED 3148, Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum, a course dedicated to discovering strategies relevant to our future practice teaching writing. By exploring different strategies through research and collaboration, writing can be applied to a variety of subject matter; from a standard English classroom or a Math or Science course. Here’s to a journey dedicated to learning and discovery!

Writing and Math

One ideas that has struck me most through the nature of this course is the questions of how we can make connections between writing and math. Throughout my own educational career, I have struggled with math. I can easily say that I can call it my “worst subject” and it has felt that way for as long as I can remember. English, however, I have always enjoyed. Looking at the contrast between my experiences with both of these very different subjects I find myself wishing a more cross-curricular approach had been assumed. If writing had been incorporated into some of my past math classes I feel as though I would have found the subject more enjoyable as a whole. Reflecting back on my own experiences truly highlights the importance of incorporating writing tasks into a variety of different courses. If this approach is taken, we can increase the opportunity for success amongst many of our students. 

11 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great! I never would have known that you were having trouble making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I am also so excited to be able to work with technology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have known that you were nervous about producing a blog. it looks great. I love the background you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great blog! No reason to feel anxious. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is awesome. Definitely consider keeping this up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is awesome! Very organized and well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great points - I too was very nervous about the blogging process but it seems to have turned out well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your layout! so much better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a good resource for our classrooms and our professional presentation. Good work, Avery!

    ReplyDelete