"We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master."
- Ernest Hemmingway

Welcome to my blog!

The following space is dedicated to the exploration of implementing writing across the curriculum. In the subsequent months I will be chronicling my experiences in PED 3148, Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum, a course dedicated to discovering strategies relevant to our future practice teaching writing. By exploring different strategies through research and collaboration, writing can be applied to a variety of subject matter; from a standard English classroom or a Math or Science course. Here’s to a journey dedicated to learning and discovery!

The Ducks in the Woods

One of my own first personal experiences with writing occurred in my second grade year. At this point in life, I had little previous experience with writing. My experience beforehand had been limited to small journal entries, the classics of elementary writing; Explain what you did this weekend, Who is you best friend and why?, etc. This assignment, however, differed from anything we had done previously. This specific activity involved writing a short story surrounding our topic of choice. There were very few limits to the activity, we simply had to come up with an idea and write about it. We were encouraged to be creative with our stories, coming up with our own characters, settings, and conflicts. As this was only a grade 2 class, I believe the required length was approximately one page hand-written, and you know how big a child’s writing can be at the ripe young age of seven. Although this was many years ago, I can remember with great detail the story I had written. This memory now stands out as one of the moments in which I discovered my own passions for reading and writing. My story began with a tale of three ducks. I remember describing each of their characteristics and the nature of the relationships between the three. What stood out most about this experience however, was the fact that I could not stop writing. What was supposed to be a one page story ended up much longer. I began dividing it into chapters after the ideas continued to spring forth in my head. My finished product ended up being approximately five chapters and about ten pages. Not long ago, I found this story, hidden away in an old basement cupboard. I laughed when reading it, shaking my head at how eager I was as a young child. Reading this story reminded me of the pleasure that comes from writing. Our students, even at a young age, are incredibly capable of creativity and worth. If we expose them to writing early on, we can instill a passion for writing, literature, and create life-long learners.    

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will hold onto this story throughout your teaching career. As you note above, It is a real touchstone piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your story about the three little ducks and how you made connections with how this activity inspired a love of writing for you. :)

    ReplyDelete